Sunday, October 28, 2012

Only In Wisconsin

So yesterday, as Emmy and I made our weekly pilgrimage, one of the Fromagination employees, Gabriel, a new kid who's taller than any basketball player I've met and has just as much enthusiasm (just in the cheese department) was dressed up for Halloween as cheese. This may not seem like an enormous leap, given his chosen profession, but he had a foam wedge hat on, a full body yellow biking suit on, and a sticker on his cheek that proclaimed him as "Marieke Gouda", a delicious young cheese with lots of bold flavor.

We had great laughs about it and then Priscilla came around to help us, as usual. :)

Again, this post as two weeks' worth of food notes & cheese notes. There are several reasons for this, the first being that Emmy is changing jobs, so training at her first job and then going to work another shift at the job she's leaving has left us both a little ragged. The second being that I've suddenly hit on the Localvore/Locavore subject; more on that later.

For now, cheese from 10/21/12:

~Marieke Gouda, aged 6 years, cow
Very sharp, local, & deliciously crumbly. This is what we got. There was only a half a pound left, and I'm sorry to say this amazing cheese will never be made again. It was the only one of its kind is existence. When we've been eating this we've eaten it in tiny slivers about the size of your thumbnail. Wish I could save some for my folks for Thanksgiving, but I wager it'll be gone by them.

~Sottocenere al Tartufo, cow
Pale taste, with truffles in.

~Wensleydale w/ Cranberry (E's note, & her request to taste)
Sweet, almost a hint of spice. The sweetness is in the cheese itself, not just the cranberry.

Fromagination 10/27/12. This week I specifically as Priscilla for the most local cheeses possible since I've begun to research what it means to be Localvore in southern Wisconsin (Local-vore, literally, eating locally). Priscilla and I aren't natives to the state so it's hard for me to conjure up an immediate mental map when people mention places like Spring Green, Monroe, and others. She did try, though. Turns out the cheesemakers in the area produce a good amount of blue cheeses, as well as cow cheeses.

~Cocoa Cardona, goat, LaValle, WI
Smooth, creamy, rubbed w/ cocoa, slight hint of sweeter chocolate taste. (We purchased this.)

~Cambozola Black Label, cow, Germany
Cave-aged taste. mild blue. very like a brie in texture & creaminess. Tried w/ fig confit. :)

~Hook's Original Blue, cow, Mineral Point, WI
Very acidic, powerful blue.

~Rogue River, cow, California (I think? I'm not sure about its origins)
Intense blue, but not moldy, b/c wrapped in fig leaves & soaked in pear brandy. Tasted w/ pear confit, yum!

So we didn't quite meet our Wisconsin-only goal this week, but I have several stories I'll be posting later today, including our fondue adventure last week, our in-the-near-future breakfast adventure today (We'll be leaving shortly), and what I've been learning about eating local.

See you soon!
Kim & Emmy

No comments:

Post a Comment