Sunday, December 23, 2012

NH part 4: Thanksgiving

Well, as we turn toward Christmas I have the last post to make about our Thanksgiving vacation. I do have to admit that I was mainly focused on family that Thursday, and as such I don't have an accurate account of what Mom & Dad cooked for us. But here's what I do remember:

On our belated Thanksgiving Day, Mom, Kath, Kath's sweetheart Chris, Emmy, and I all went on a short hike up Rattlesnake Hill/Mountain near Sandwhich, NH while Dad stayed at home preparing dinner. Kath had to get to work that afternoon for a short shift, so we had to make the hike an early one. We were the only ones on the cold, sometimes icy, trail and despite a chill wind our exertions quickly warmed us. Kath and I stayed close for most of the hike, talking mostly about hiking, what she thought she might do after school, and the appropriate clothing for winter and fall hiking. I felt closer to her than I had in a long time, and I also felt keenly interested in her future choices, since she was about to enter a section of her life that I had just finished with; the initial establishing of oneself after college.

Emmy and I made one more stop at Mill Falls in Meredith, NH on our way home. We got maple candy and maple-walnut fudge at Lee's Candy Kitchen, the only NH-local products, and then headed home for Thanksgiving.

Along with Kath and Chris, we were joined by my Aunt&Uncle from Hopkington, NH. It was a merry gathering, and I did go up for seconds, though it was mostly mashed potatoes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember there being

Mashed potatoes
Turkey
Stuffing x2, vegan (for Kath&Chris), and non-vegan
Green beans? (There was a vegetable, I wish I could remember what it was.)
Gravy
STICKY BUNS (We will discuss these soon, I promise.)
Pie
Ice cream
Hard cider (local, NH)
Wine (white, Prairie Fume, from Wollershiem Winery, Prairie Du Sac, WI)
Cranberry sauce

Although I'm certain this isn't a complete list. I'm not a stuffing or a side person, as evidenced by my plate filling up with turkey, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce, so I'm afraid I didn't pay attention to them very well. I do have to say, however, that when Dad took the effort to mention he'd gone down to the local co-op (I had no idea we had a co-op) and gotten a local hard cider, my heart swelled with pride. It still does, too, just to think about it. At the table there was much talk over the sticky buns, how no one dares change Dad's recipe, how I've been slowly perfecting it in my years since college, how the West Coast half of the family doesn't bother making them anymore, etc, etc. I was cautioned not to let a secret this good out into the world wide web, but I can't honestly hold back that recipe. The world needs to know. This year and last year Dad added a splash of a mystery ingredient, but said that nobody had guessed it last holiday season.

At this point Emmy takes her first bite and says, quite lightly, "Ah, vanilla."

Dad agreed that it was and Emmy felt rather proud of herself, too, for having such a refined palate. :)

xoxoxo,
Kim & Emmy
 

No comments:

Post a Comment