Monday, February 11, 2013

February Chills & Confessions

So, it's that time of year again. The time of year that we all stick our noses outside and yell, "Enough already!" I'm getting a bit stir-crazy myself. It must be the limited winter food options at the farmers market, which isn't really anybody's fault but Old Man Winter's. I'd kill for some fruit.

Another confession:
Emmy and I haven't been as pure as we would have liked. We are visiting restaurants much less frequently than we used to, once every two weeks instead of several times in a weekend. Feeding two people on one meal (and its leftovers) all week has taken some adjusting to. Therefore, we are baking more and buying (not always) organic mac&cheese to cover the gap between weekends. I am quite ashamed to say we visited a couple fast food places, too, a rare occurance in and of itself. But we have noticed that we are still steadily losing weight and we understood when we started out that the First Quarter of the year would be the most difficult, mostly because we are still adjusting, using up what's already in the pantry etc, but also because we have to break our old habits slowly. Not to mention the sight of those potatoes, squash, and carrrots aren't as exciting as they were at the beginning of January. I haven't really stretched myself, either, in cooking styles. After the kerfufle with the sweet potatoes I've been rather reluctant to try new vegetables, although I will say that Emmy and I have discovered and LOVE celeriac. We do try to be organic whenever possible and to support local businesses, even when they are not necessarily organic themselves.

Yet more confessions:
I have a caffiene addiction. A big one. I'm not talking about a coffee every morning, I mean Mountain Dew. I grew up drinking the stuff and it just eats at me when I don't have any, although not as bad as it used to. Emmy is trying to steer me towards fair-trade, locally-brewed coffee and fair-trade tea. Habit is really hard to break. Since we have vending machines at my work, whenever I pick up a roll of quarters for laundry about half of those go towards my soda intake for the week. But this time I told Emmy to hide the quarters from me, and not in the change jar. Seriously hidden away. Somewhere I won't even think to look. We'll try that next week and see how it goes. I hate, for lack of a better term, just pissing away my laundry money. Today I got down on my hands and knees and begged Emmy for permission to purchase a soda while I did some errands around town (it was her money). I promised her gold and jewels and chocolates and two scantily-clad servants to follow her around waving palm fronds and feeding her peeled grapes, but she still refused. And rightfully so.

Going forward:
I must conquer this addiction of mine. Somehow. At least get it to the point where coffee and tea will be sufficient. Emmy and I have a month and a half left until the end of the First Quarter of the year. At that time we should begin to see more greens appearing at the market AND! it will be sugar-snow time. Time for maple syrup! As the winter-based menu and all its limited options draws to a close, we will become more strict with our diet, staying local except for the essentials mentioned in the kick-off post.

Happy Valentine's Day!
xoxoxo
Kim & Emmy

No comments:

Post a Comment