Monday, January 21, 2013

Sufferin' Sweet Potatoes!

What a mess this weekend was. Although Emmy and I had a great Saturday morning I found myself standing alone in the kitchen later that night, facing 3 hours of peeling and chopping at 3am. I crusaded on while Emmy slept, hoping to have our Sweet Potato Quesadillas ready by the time she had to leave for work at 11am.
*chopchop, boil, mash, stir, saute, etc, stir again, combine and stir*
*taste*
XP! Yuck. I mean, really, yuck. Maybe it was me trying to quadruple the recipe, maybe I needed fresh herbs instead of dried ones in little plastic bottles, or maybe, just maybe, I needed to hunker down and admit that I hate sweet potatoes. Darn.
Turns out we'd spent our whole grocery budget making this:

http://animalvegetablemiracle.com/recipes-winter-sweet-potato-quesadillas.htm

and had nothing to show for it. I gave up and sat down with some hard cider and watched cartoons until it was time to wake Emmy. Big mistake. Without any coffee in my system and a mess of hard cider I battled a losing fight against a migraine for the rest of the day. In the morning Emmy tried the sweet potato concoction and admitted that she hated it, too. Back to the co-op I went, dragging my feet over to the meat counter for some organic, pasture-raised ground beef and two packets of taco seasoning. Head aching and without any energy we snacked away on the last of the bread Sunday night and rolled into bed without making anything.

At last, come Monday morning I threw off the covers and (migraine blessedly gone) ran to the stove to start cooking. Just in time for a 10am shift, I pulled out the locally-made tortilla shells we'd gotten for the quesadillas and packed Emmy's lunch minutes before we had to be out the door. Now, with her off at work, I set myself the task of completing a recipe for fluffy rolls that I'd found a few days ago here:

http://jamiecooksitup.net/2010/10/fluffy-dinner-rolls/

They just came out of the oven a little while ago, and while I was skeptical earlier I'm much reformed now. They're delicious, and oddly sweet. Here only the butter and milk were local, I'm still working down my own salt and sugar stashes until I can get local/organic varieties from decent companies.

So, I learned something this week. If you don't like the ingredients in something, no matter how tasty the cooking method, you will probably not like the end result. Although I do have to say that I have gotten several responses to my personal facebook posts from family, who have recommended that I try frying up or roasting the sweet potatoes in wedges before adding them to the quesadillas so I won't end up with that bland, mashed squashy flavor.

I have no idea what I'll make next week, but it'll probably be either potato soup or vegetarian chili.

xoxoxo,
Kim & Emmy
 

3 comments:

  1. Found your blog via the Willy St. Co-op Facebook page--good stuff. Our family went 100% local for a month back in 2007. To read of our exploits you can check out our blog of the project at http://vidalocal.blogspot.com/ Start in the archives and work forward. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've so just been there with Sweet Potatoes...I really should just give up and make baked sweet potato sticks, but every time I'm like "no, this recipe sounds good". I also found your blog from the Co-op Facebook page and look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete