Sunday, August 11, 2013

Abroad In Wolfeboro

So just this past week my sister and I took a jaunt across Lake Winnipesaukee. Well, not across, per se, more like around.

Gosh darn it don'tcha kno tha's a luung wae aroond.

Basically, it took forever and the traffic congestion right in town was pretty awful. But, I was on a mission. A cheese mission. I was looking out for the Wolfeboro Wine Cellar, which, as it turns out, doesn't exist. But I did find a couple intersting other places.

We had lunch at the Brick Oven Bistro, which was packed for lunch. Cheese pizza for us. Alright as pizza places go, though it was really busy.

We also stopped by a cooking supply store, Butternuts, and picked up some local cheese at last! There were two particular ones that caught my eye: the "Cheddar Bites" from Maplebrook Farm down in Bennington, VT and Maple Chevre from Blue Ledge Farm in Leicester, VT. The bites (curds, they were CURDS, in NH no less! I admit I let my inner geek out just a little when I saw them) were two days old and had so lost their squeak, but they were delicious nonetheless. The only disappointing thing is that the proprieters didn't seem to know that freshness in curds is paramount, but then, that's the food nerd in me. I could taste the cheddary-ness and they were coolly sweet. I can't wait to check this place out. And then the chevre! Mon dieu! Sweet, creamy, goat's milk with a touch of maple syrup. How much more local can you get? Mmmm.

Our first stop, actually, was probably the most welcoming environment: Winnipesaukee Chocolates. Excellent service, decor, and products. It reminded me a good deal of a smaller Gail Ambrosias (east Madison), and there were a couple truffle flavors that I can safely vouch are unique to the store. There was the olive oil truffle, dark and smooth yet light, the vanilla & white chocolate truffle, creamy and sweet with a bitter shell, and my favorite, white birch ale truffle. I mean, white birch ale? Made from local trees from a local brewery. How cool is that?! We also picked up a chocolate bar called Sap House Cove, dark chocolate with huge chunks of maple sugar. Do I even need to describe this one? Go out and order one right now. A very favorable experience and atmosphere. I know where my Christmas chocolates are going to come from! :)

See ya!
xoxoxo,
Emmy & Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment