Sunday, August 11, 2013

That August Taste

It's what I've been searching for these past couple weeks; that perfect August taste. We're still here in Meredith, New Hampshire doing yoga and job hunting as hard as we can. In the meantime we're busy making big dreams and hoping that we'll have enough money before it snows to actually do cool things.

For example, I have a Facebook link to Fromagination, my cheese shop back in Madison. Obviously I can't just go in whenever I want anymore, but I still get their updates. Recently, as I understand things, there was a national cheese competition. Jasper Hill Farms won, a prosperous creamery in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. I encourage you to go and check them out. We'll be making a visit for sure, just as soon as the funds are available.

Tonight we're watching the meteor shower. My parents' backyard overlooks the Wheel of the Milkyway, so it'll be particularly splendid.

But, back to food.

We've had several interesting dishes in the past week or so, all centered around seasonal foods even if the farmer's markets around here aren't that big, or on our normal schedule to visit. We've made:

~Fruity Bruschetta (staring peaches)

~Sauteed Chicken Breasts w/ Peaches

~Roasted Red Pepper Corn Bread w/ Bacon

~Northern Italian Tortellini Soup (w/ tomatoes)

and

~Red Devil Squash Creole

Out of everything we made, I can easily say that the most delicious thing was the chicken breast recipe. It hit every note that I love and I'll share it here with you today. If you want to see any of the other recipes just comment below and I'll put it up. Also, for clarification I am working out of two books: From Asparagus to Zucchini for my veggies, and Fruit Cookbook: Fruit-Filled Recipes Soups to Desserts by Nicole Routheir for my fruits, of course.

Sauteed Chicken Breasts w/ Peaches:

~4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, trimmed of excess fat
~salt & pepper
~all-purpose flour
~2 Tb unsalted butter
~1/4 C thinly sliced shallots
~1/4 C balsamic vinegar
~1/4 C chicken broth
~1/4 C heavy/whipping cream
~2 large ripe, but firm peaches (or 1 lb)
~2 Tb shredded fresh basil (trust me, you want it fresh)

1. Use a meat pounder, flatten each breast so that it is roughly the same thickness throughout.

2. Season the breasts with salt and pepper (use more salt that you think you'll need, trust me!), then dredge through the flour, shaking off the excess.

3. Melt 1 Tb of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and saute until cooked through. Cut into the thickest part and make sure that it is cooked all the way through, white, but NO PINK. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with plastic wrap while you make the sauce.

4. Add the remaining 1 Tb butter (I also used a little wine to bring the burnt chicken bits up off the bottom of the pan, a wooden spoon is good for this). When the butter is melted, add the shallots and saute until tender. Add the vinegar and cook until reduced by half, forming a thick glaze. Add the broth and the cream, along with any juices that may have collected on the chicken plate. Cook again until reduced by half and lightly coats the back of a spoon. Add the peaches and toss until just warmed through. Removed from the heat and stir in the basil. Adjust salt & pepper as desired.

5. Take your chicken and spoon some sauce over it.

6. Wow.

That's all for now, bye!
xoxoxo,
Kim & Emmy

No comments:

Post a Comment