Saturday, June 1, 2013

Can I Have Some More?

It's official, I've eaten Madison out. I feel like I've set tips and empty plates down in every place that mattered in the past four years. That is, until these past two weeks rolled around.

~Chautara~
Wow! Finally fed up with the typical Olive Garden breadsticks and loads of heavy pasta, Emmy and I wracked our brains to come up with somewhere new and "foreign" that wasn't Indian food (we both have delicate tummies). Spicy and savory were my watchwords as I ran through a mental list of all the "foreign" food in town, most of it sub-par Chinese places and shady sushi bars.
"Indian food?" I kept asking Emmy as we drove.
She turned and grimaced at me.
"I know a place, it's not too bad. They've got mango ice cream!" Mango usually does the trick, but not this time.
"Anything but Indian, Kim, please."
"Alright." I tried thinking more, taking crazy turns. "Steak?"
"No..."
"Olive Garden?"
"But we were just there!"
Sigh. "I know."
We seemed doomed not to find anything--or think of anything--until a four-year-old memory jangled in the back of my head.

What about that place Dad took you and Kenny to, that night you all went to the Overture? You know, that Thai place on State Street?
But I didn't like it, I said to myself.
Well, responded my inner self, You weren't a food blogger then. You had no palate. You ate three cups of pasta per sitting and frozen pizza! You wouldn't have known good cuisine if it bit you in the ass.
You're right, I said.

We drove on. The stop at Chautara was welcomed by a lamp soup special sign. We grinned at each other and entered the tiny restaurant. Behold! Statues and house-hold gods everywhere, strewn with dimes and with many soft bills tucked into their creases. All the right smells greeted us, making our stomachs growl hard.
"It's a lion," I said, looking at the statue by the entrance.
"A boy lion," Emmy said, looking down at the statue's very--ahem--prominent endowment.
The hostess, a girl our own age, said we could sit anywhere. I asked if the upstairs was open, since I'd never seen it. She said yes, so we climbed the stairs, passing more gods on the way. The upstairs was open, with old creaking floorboards and lots of windows. And better, it was empty of people, with a swanky bar in the back by the restrooms. By the time we'd arrived they were out of the lamp soup, so I ordered Beef Korma and Emmy got the spicy Chicken Secuwa, with jasmine rice. We shared a side of dal (soup) and house salad with honey-poppyseed vinagrette (sp?).

I can't even tell you how good it all was, since I didn't have my notebook with me, but it was heavenly and perfectly proportioned. Go enjoy for yourself!

~Luigi's~

Last night we spent a good 45 minutes driving around town, yet again, looking for Umami, a Japanese place Emmy'd heard about. It's supposed to be on Williamson St, but in the dark we couldn't find it. After what seemed like ages and lots of twists and turns I looked over and said, "I like pizza." Emmy cooed, "I like pizza, too!"
"Let's do this!"
We sped around some more, nearly getting lost in an area of town I'm not very familiar with. Turns out Regent Street actually turns into Mineral Point Rd. When was Madison going to tell me about this? Craziness.
We rolled into Luigi's, again a place I'd visited sans fiancee more than a year ago and hadn't been back to since.
They were nearly closed but served us anyway, and it was probably the most delicious pizza I have ever had in my whole life.
Appetizer: Fonduta Classico, cheese fondue w/ pieces of prosciutto ham and spicy bits in, w/ bread for dipping.
Pizza: Chicken, basil pesto mixed with marinara sauce, onions, mozzerella and fresh goat cheese (Creamed Chevre, if my taste buds could get a guess) and I'm serious, this pizza was out-of-this-world good!

~DumplingHaus~
There's no excuse for this one, except they've always been busy. Just a little "asian food place" tucked away into the Hilldale Mall, a stone's throw from the Sundance Theater. I should have known better and tried them years ago. Just the right amount of food for just the right price, I've had their Pork & Veggie Wontons twice now and I know I'll be stopping in at least once more before we leave!

Wow, wow, wow! So many good places and so little time left! Not to mention iced mochas at Alterra, our determination to subscribe to Mother Earth News, and everything we're looking forward to in Portland.

Love, hugs, and good eating to everyone!
xoxoxo,
Kim & Emmy

No comments:

Post a Comment